How to Report Elder Abuse

According to the Administration for Community Living, there are an estimated 2.1 million cases of elder abuse that are reported each year. That equates to roughly 1 in 10 of our seniors that suffer some type of elder abuse or neglect. A study by the National Research Council estimates that as many as 13 out of 14 cases of elder abuse go unreported every year.

If you or someone you love is suffering from elder abuse or neglect, you should report it as soon as possible. If the situation is an emergency or the person is in a life-threatening situation, call 911 or your local law enforcement agency. Below is contact information for some of the surrounding states agencies.


Contact the Department of Aging and Disability Services. You can reach them at 1-800-458-9858. Agents are available Monday through Friday 7 AM to 7 PM. You can also make a report online through their secure website at: It is important to remember that the Texas Abuse Hotline is only for nonemergency situations. For more information on how to contact DADS or how to report abuse, visit their website.


Report any abuse to the Adult Abuse Hotline at 1-800-482-8049. If elder abuse occurs at a facility that is licensed by the Arkansas Office of Long Term Care, you can also report the abuse to the Abuse and Complaint Section at 501-682-8430. To find out if the nursing facility is licensed by the Office of Long Term Care, use the find a facility tool on the Arkansas Department of Human Services Website. For more information on Arkansas long term care visit their website.


Contact the County Department in which the victim resides. Use the APS Intake Numbers sheet to find the applicable phone number. Do not report the abuse or neglect using the Colorado Department of Human Services via email as it could delay the response time. For more information visit the Adult Protective Services website.


Any abuse or neglect is addressed by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs. You can report abuse to the Florida Abuse Hotline at 1-800-962-2873. To create a report, press 1 when calling. You can also report abuse online by going to the Department of Children and Families website. For more information on how to report elder abuse or neglect in Florida, visit the Department of Elder Affairs website.

New Mexico:

Call the New Mexico Adult Protective Services. You can reach their statewide intake number toll-free at 1-866-654-3219 or 1-505-476-4912. For more information about the Adult Protective Services in New Mexico, visit their website.


Contact the local Department of Human Services Office via email to create an Adult Protective Services report. To find the information for your local DHS office, use the Town and County Locator. If it is after regular business hours, call the Statewide Abuse Hotline at 1-800-522-3511.


Contact the Mississippi Adult Protective Services to report abuse or neglect. You can reach the Mississippi Centralized Intake at 1-800-222-8000 or by filling out an online intake report. For more information on how to create a report visit the Mississippi Adult Protective Services website.

If you or your loved one has suffered an injury due to nursing home abuse or neglect, contact Powers Taylor today. Our attorneys have extensive experience handling nursing home abuse and neglect cases. We fight for those without a voice.

For more information, read our  frequently asked questions about nursing home abuse and neglect.

To see how your state’s nursing homes are performing, visit the Families for Better Care website.



This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.