Some of the most devastating injuries that happen in nursing homes are falls. Many nursing home residents are already fall risks when they are admitted. Nursing homes are required to take all necessary precautions to prevent residents from falling. If not, they are contributing to elderly abuse.
Falls can happen for many reasons. They can be minor or major, accidental or because of neglect.
Common types of falls in nursing homes are:
- Unattended falls – these occur when residents try to get up or move themselves without the help of nursing home staff. Sometimes it is due to defective or unanswered call buttons or if residents have cognitive issues and proper fall precautions are not in place.
- Attended falls or being dropped – these occur when a staff member or other resident is with the person who falls. Some people require multiple staff members to help them get up or move. If only one staff member is present, falls can easily happen and cause serious injury.
- Hoyer lift drops – some nursing home residents require the use of a Hoyer lift to be moved. Falls or drops can happen if the nursing home staff doesn’t know how to properly operate the lift or uses it incorrectly.
Causes of falls in nursing homes:
- Residents being left unattended for long periods of time
- Residents who have a risk or history of falls not being properly monitored
- Defective call light buttons or staff not responding to call lights
- Dangerous conditions, like slippery floors, poorly lit corridors, and obstructions
- Failing to assist elderly nursing home residents with restroom needs
- Not using the proper methods to move residents
- Not lowering residents’ beds to be closer to the ground
- Not placing fall mats near beds
Fall Injuries in Nursing Homes
Injuries from falls to elderly nursing home residents can not only be extremely painful, they can be fatal. Injuries that can happen after falls in nursing homes include:
- Broken bones, sometimes requiring surgery
- Head injuries, including brain bleeds
- Spinal cord injuries
- Serious cuts and bruises
- Damage to internal organs
Many fall injuries in nursing homes are preventable. If injuries from a fall are not treated quickly, they can turn life-threatening.
We can help.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury from being dropped or falling in a nursing home, contact us today. We trust the facilities to take care of our loved ones and most falls are completely preventable. Our nursing home fall lawyers can help you get justice for injuries sustained from falling in a nursing home. The consultation in 100% free.