DADS becomes part of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission

The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) is an organization that provides both home and community based services for seniors in Texas, people with disabilities, and their families or caregivers. DADS provides a variety of services including medical care, long-term care, and home modifications. Recently, DADS began to transition to the Texas Health and Human Services Commission.

Texas Health and Human Services Commission Reorganization

In September, DADS began transitioning their services to the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. They will continue to transfer all services offered over the next year. The transition will be completed in September of 2017. By reorganizing the two organizations, it should make it easier for people to find out about the services offered, better integrate the programs offered, create a more accountable system, and clearly define objectives and performance measures. For a list of services offered to the elderly or disabled, visit the Health and Human Services Commission website.

While the transition is in progress, DADS will continue to offer the following services until September of 2017:

  • Trust Fund Monitoring
  • Educational Services for Regulatory
  • State Long-term Care Ombudsman
  • Regulatory Services
  • State Supported Living Centers
  • Office of the Independent Ombudsman for SSLCs
  • Consumer Rights and Services Complaint Intake

How to Report Abuse or Neglect

Abuse and neglect of a senior or person with disabilities can be devastating and deadly. If you know someone that is being abused, you should contact the Department of Aging and Disability Services. You can reach them at 1-800-458-9858. Agents are available Monday through Friday 7 AM to 7 PM. You can also make a report online through their secure website at: It is important to remember that the Texas Abuse Hotline is only for nonemergency situations. If the situation is an emergency, call 911 or your local law enforcement agency. For more information on how to contact DADS or how to report abuse, visit their website.



This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.