Elderly abuse can come in the form of physical or sexual assault in a nursing home. We want nursing home staff to be trustworthy when we leave our loved ones in their care. Unfortunately, we see that is not always the case.
Any assault on a nursing home resident is unacceptable. People take advantage of the weakened state of the elderly in nursing homes for their own pleasure. It’s important to know the different kinds of sexual assault in nursing homes and the warning signs.
Types of Sexual Assault in Nursing Homes
Whether by a staff member, another resident, or a stranger – nursing homes have a duty to protect our loved ones from sexual predators.
- Sexual Assault by Staff – Nursing Homes tend to not to thorough background checks when hiring. This leads to sexual predators taking care of our elderly loved ones. Whether its inappropriate conversations, physical touching, or even rape – none of it is acceptable.
- Sexual Assault by Residents – Nursing Homes should always be aware of residents who have a history of sexual assault. If they don’t properly monitor these residents, they can sneak into another person’s room and assault them. If sexual contact with another resident is not consensual, it is assault.
- Sexual Assault by Strangers – If a nursing home doesn’t have adequate security or staff, strangers can enter and assault residents.
Signs of Sexual Assault in Nursing Homes
Not all sexual assaults in nursing homes are obvious. Residents may be unable to communicate what happened to them. Be on the lookout for the following sings:
- Becoming suddenly withdrawn
- Bruising or scratches around genitals or breasts
- Unexplained vaginal or anal bleeding
- Unexplained sexually transmitted diseases
- Torn or stained undergarments
- Sudden fear or agitation when certain staff members or residents are around
Elderly sexual assault in nursing homes is horrific and unacceptable. Nursing homes have a duty to protect the vulnerable from sexual predators. If you or a loved one has been sexually assaulted in a nursing home, call Powers Taylor today. Our elderly sexual abuse attorneys have experience handling these cases and holding nursing homes accountable. Our compassionate team is standing by to help your family through this horrible situation.