Did you know? According to the Families for Better Care Texas nursing homes have the worst rating in the United States. A local news station in Amarillo broke the story earlier this week calling for a change in our long-term care system. Their investigation revealed some eye opening statistics into the state of Texas nursing homes.
According to the 2014 statistics:
- Texas has been ranked as the worst state in the US for 2 years in a row for nursing home conditions
- 95% of Texas nursing homes have received a violation for federal or state laws
- On average, residents in Texas nursing homes receive less than 2 hours and 15 minutes of direct care a day
- A staggering 80% of nursing homes in Texas failed to receive a score that is an above average health inspection rating (this number has increased 10% since last year). 6 out of the 8 categories that Texas nursing homes are evaluated in received failing scores.
If you or a family member are suffering from abuse or neglect in a nursing home:
- Talk to one of the attorneys at Powers Taylor. We have over 20 years of experience with nursing home cases and have a wealth of information to help you through the process.
- Move them to another facility if possible. If you would like help finding the nursing home that would be the best fit for you or a loved one the Medicare Compare website is a great resource. On the Medicare Compare website you are able to compare various nursing homes in your area to find the best fit.
- File a complaint with Texas Health and Human Services (THHS). You can do so by going to this link:
If you would like more information on the report released from the Families for Better Care please visit the link below:
Below is the link to the news story from Channel 10 in Amarillo:
If you or a family member needs assistance with a nursing home case call us at 214-239-8900.